- Consider the quality of what I’m writing. The first thing I do when I can’t get words out is to make sure it’s not a subconscious defense mechanism against sucking. If I’m writing something stupid or boring I’ll have a much harder time writing it. So if I get suck, first I make sure I’m not writing a pointless scene that I need to spend more time brainstorming.
- Switch it up. Once I’m sure that it’s me and not the scene, if I still can’t write, I try to produce words in a way other than typing at my keyboard. I’ll break out my mic and do some dictation or I’ll grab a notepad and write the scene by hand. I’ve found this gets me past most hurdles.
- Fantasize about my characters. Sometimes I just need to get excited about what I’m doing, so I’ll close my eyes and think about my characters and their lives. I think about all the things that didn’t make it into the book that shaped who they are. Hopefully by the end of it I’m busting to bring them to life on the page.
- Listen to music. Maybe my problem is my mood. If that’s the case, then I listen to music that sets me in the right mood to write the scene. Sometimes I’m alone in my apartment pit moshing to gangsta rap. Don’t know if it really qualifies if there is no one to mosh into, but I think my dresser counts.
- Work on something else. Sometimes I can’t focus on one project because I can’t get another one out of my head. If that’s the case, I make sure to get the one I’m thinking about down while it’s good and fresh. Nothing is better than fresh words.
- Take a break. If I’m just wiped out, especially after finishing a big project, sometimes I just need to unwind and relax. I’ll take a day off enjoying my favorite games, maybe order some take out and watch a good movie. I find that after I’m good and relaxed the ideas just start bubbling to the surface.
Having trouble getting the words out? Do you push and push to no avail? Here are some of the things I do to get the words flowing again.
Subscribe to my newsletter for updates on new releases, free giveaways and promos.
You have successfully joined our subscriber list.
Romance writer and coffee aficionado. Watch her do anything but write.